Monday, November 16, 2009

Jaw problems after widom teeth removed?

I had tmj before I had my wisdome teeth out and now after I had them taken out, it seems my jaw is locking up more on one side. Why is this happening? Could it be still healing from having them removed?

Jaw problems after widom teeth removed?
Same thing happened to my Dad when he had his wisdom teeth out...his TMJ got worse.


Healthy teeth anchored in the jaw help keep the shape of the jaw constant. Removal of wisdom teeth (which are nearest the temporal mandibular joint than any other teeth) can cause changes to the jaw structure (even slight changes to the jawbones can aggravate TMJ).





My jaw is similar to my Dad's, but not identical. When I had all 4 wisdom teeth out, the lower right side bones remained more stable than the left side. If you look where the wisdom teeth were on the left, you will find that the healed areas where my left wisdom tooth was is not horizontal, but, over the years, has repositioned themselves vertically --like climbing up my cheek ! Fortunately, it didn't worsen my joint pain like it did to my Dad.





You don't say how long it's been since you've had them taken out, so I can't say whether it might be a temporary worsening that may improve when completely healed. But I hope so.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net